Shop Item Description Freeze (14)

1 Name: Dilt : Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:50:33 GMT ID:6Uazk4gg (Image: 512x224 gif, 31 kb) [Del]

src/1348433433876.gif: 512x224, 31 kb

Hey, having a small issue with item descriptions in the item shop. I'm using ZSNES and the link at the bottom of the post is a savestate.

In the first shop (unsure if any other shops have this issue- your normal inventory doesn't), if you use select to view an item's description, it works just fine. The problem is when you cancel out of the description (using select, a, b, whatever). The game freezes up after the background displaces itself a little bit. This happens for anything that you attempt to buy from the store (selling items from your inventory doesn't have this problem).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1897061/Energy%20Breaker%20itemshop.zst

2 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : Sun, 23 Sep 2012 21:43:02 GMT ID:krR18BAb [Del]

Hey there, thanks very much for posting.

We kind of stealth fixed that bug - you were unfortunately lucky enough to grab the patch before we did so. Could you please try downloading the patch again, and let us know if that doesn't fix it for you?

NB: You should load from a hard save rather than a savestate when trying the updated patch.

3 Name: Dilt : Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:13:21 GMT ID:6Uazk4gg (Image: 256x224 gif, 14 kb) [Del]

src/1348442001977.gif: 256x224, 14 kb

Fixed! I don't use save states at all normally (but I noticed you asked for a saved game/saved state), so that's not a problem. I can view descriptions just fine in shops now.

Now for the next problem! This one happened while I was playing normally in the previous patch.

After our favorite professor dude rejoined me on the train, he came with some bizarre magical powers: His PP is glitch/00. In the energy menu, this acts as if he has infinite pp to spread around. Resetting your energy will set the usable PP back to 0. He had around 9 max PP or so before he left the party.

I had the field 2 hardsave slot saved at a little bit after getting on the train by chance, so I've already checked to see if the more recent patch fixed it. It didn't.

Here's my actual save file this time instead of just a saved state.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1897061/Energy%20Breaker%20trainsave.srm

4 Name: Disnesquick : Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:52:52 GMT ID:jhNBHL7O [Del]

I'll take a look tomorrow but these glitches tend to be due to playing through a prior glitch or repatching the ROM and then loading a savestate from within a menu. If you say this is entirely from within the first patch then its likely that you encountered a glitch at some point, probably related to receiving an item in battle, because I fixed that too in the latest patch.

Usually, by the time you see it, the error has already happened and no repatching will fix it, only cheat codes (although if the memory has been skragged like this, then there's likely to be other unpredictable consequences)

For some reason, Lenardo's stats are the first thing to get confused. I've had his balance reset to zero on a recent test, though this was due to the kind of issue I just mentioned.

5 Post deleted by user.

6 Name: Disnesquick : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:41:33 GMT ID:TC/ONqoX [Del]

Ok, I've confirmed that there is a definite bug involving Lenardo's stats getting corrupted by one of the original routines. It's going to be a pain to track this one because the routine doing it is not one I've tampered with, meaning there is a second-order error going on :(

If you happen to find a "before" save, where the stats get confused by a specific action, I would be really grateful. So far I've found this issue in the Tower of Sand. Hopefully it's the same bug causing both and I can squash them together.

If it is, then the memory location at 7F0580-7F05A0 will get corrupted on opening the menu. This only seems to happen at specific locations.

7 Name: Disnesquick : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:44:56 GMT ID:TC/ONqoX [Del]

Sorry that should be 7E0580 - 7E05A0

8 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:15:12 GMT ID:krR18BAb [Del]

We've uploaded a new patch - check the main page.

9 Name: Headache : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:50:51 GMT ID:M/KGVhfU [Del]

Thank you very much for the wonderful translation! A tremendous, life-time amount of effort was put in it and it shows. Energy Breaker feels very localized.

The game itself is for the most part (of what I've played not so much of yet) light-hearted. Lots of good fun, nice graphics and some good music. Myra is cuteness incarnate. It's one of the few games where a character's personality is displayed beyond dialogues and cut-scenes - in a lot of comment text which was probably hell to translate and pin-point to a specific event or location.

Using ZSNES, same stat problem with Lenardo - only it happened at the very start of the game. He gets his infinite current PP and 0 Max PP, after a few level-ups all his stats get mixed again. Also, when he exited the party and the third party member joined for the first time he had the General's items in his inventory that couldn't be replaced instead of his, including the item box, but it fixed itself on the next map at the shop. Now his stats are all zeros + equipment + levelups + items.

10 Name: Disnesquick : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:55:32 GMT ID:m6XZyJ4V [Del]

Headache. Can you confirm whether these issues occurred with the BANDAID patch?

11 Name: Headache : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:31:53 GMT ID:M/KGVhfU [Del]

Well, the bizzarest thing has occurred already=) Even if nothing else goes wrong it doesn't mean the patch helped. I applied the patch and loaded the hardsave. Lenardo still has 3-6 value in base stats at level 16 and 4 max/current PP. And I'm too lazy to start the game all over again to confirm.
The inventory glitch happened at Doc's house when monsterboy joined the party. Lenardo's items were showing some random stuff like Thornwhip and Leon's stuff. It disappeared either after the mapworld or when I talked to the Pioneer merchant.

12 Name: Disnesquick : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:44:24 GMT ID:m6XZyJ4V [Del]

Ok. You'll probably want to use cheat codes to hack Lenardo's stats back to a reasonable level then. I'm afraid that there's nothing that we can do patchwise, since its the memory that is corrupt, rather than the ROM.

Lenardo's stats are found at 7e0580 onwards. Editing these locations with suitable cheat codes or a debugger will help but I can't guarantee that other locations haven't been hit. The BANDAID patch will prevent future occurrences and the 1.01 that's coming will completely fix these issues.

This issue is present (though rarer) in the original game. The larger size of the English script causes the problem to be more common but it's not one I created. There is some really lazy code in this game. Basically, opening the menu when the script is larger than a certain size causes one value to not be zero when it is expected to be. This value is then added to another value and used as a pointer to zero some memory. So in these locations, random pieces of memory will be over-written with zero. We call this effect the Shotfun. The BANDAID does stop this issue but the 1.01 that's coming removes the underlying cause by compressing dialogue down to about 50% of its former size.

Sorry for the trouble!

13 Name: Headache : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:11:29 GMT ID:M/KGVhfU [Del]

No problem! Figured as much that it was the original's problem. Myra right now is a powerhouse, I don't even need the other team members as of this moment. I'll just buff him up with items I guess.

14 Name: Disnesquick : Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:21:28 GMT ID:TC/ONqoX [Del]

It's really pretty easy to edit him back to good health by poking those memory locations. The game does have a difficulty cliff towards the end so you'll want him to be a capable member.

Myra is completely overpowered and I think it has a really negative effect on the game. satsu and I were talking about a hard-type version that brings her stats back in line with everyone else.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
More options...
Verification:
Image: