Technical Support Thread / FAQ (8)

1 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : 2012-08-26 04:34 ID:XINrB0Nr (Image: 256x224 png, 28 kb) [Del]

src/1345980886952.png: 256x224, 28 kb
Here's a thread for technical advice, e.g. for when you experience crashes or can't get the patch to work.

Help! I can't get the patch to work!
Check whether the ROM you are using has a header or not. More information in the readme.
Rather than hard-patching the ROM, try using your emulator's auto-patching feature, if it has one. You usually only need to have the patch in the same folder for this to work.

Oh God! It's crashing!
Oh crap! That's not good. We did test it pretty thoroughly.
See if you can get a save or savestate from before the crash and upload it somewhere, then post a new thread with some details about the crash (e.g. what you were doing at the time.)
NOTE: Using cheats to boost your characters' Bal and so on WILL cause crashes during event scenes. If you're cheating, make sure to turn your cheat codes off before the battle ends.

Drokk! I found a typo!
Oops, that's embarrassing. We'd really appreciate if you took a screenshot of the typo (or any text that doesn't make any sense) and posted it to a new thread here. We'll fix the typo so that it can be included in future patches.

Attachments
You can attach images and RAR or ZIP archives to your posts. You can use the latter to attach savestates or saves.

2 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : 2012-08-26 04:59 ID:XINrB0Nr [Del]

Why do the Wings of Mirelia and Wings of Mechiral do the same thing, but are worth different values in the shop?
In the original game, they had different functions. The Wings of Mirelia would take you to the world map, but the Wings of Mechiral would pop up a list of locations available on the world map for you to jump to. This is pretty much pointless, because the world map is pretty small and performing either operation to get to a destination takes about the same length of time with either method.

Reprogramming the display for the Wings of Mechiral posed a large technical obstacle due to the amount of space that would be required to display names and the amount of memory available, so it was decided to make them function the same as the Wings of Mirelia in the translated version of the game. The item description for the Wings of Mechiral has been updated to address the reason why they cost more.

3 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:02:33 GMT ID:XINrB0Nr [Del]

Why is it so hard at the beginning?

• Did you buy a weapon from the item shop?
  • Don't forget to search every object you see. There are many useful hidden items, and I had to translate shitloads of text for the search function.
  • Don't forget that back attacks do more damage.

4 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:07:49 GMT ID:pAjbd0WT [Del]

General tip: it's recommended to use the game's save feature rather than rely on savestates.

5 Name: Ciel : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 02:23:04 GMT ID:yAIzQbhP [Del]

Thank you so much, Disnes and satsu, for all your work on this translation. My favorite part of new translation hacks is reading the history of the project in the readme file because I know people who would go to such lengths share my enthusiasm for SNES games. You amazing people have brought me experiences I'll value forever with Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudras, and so on - the chance to see the types of stories and worlds I loved in the 90s on my SNES and continue to love today. Also, as a musical composer I would never have been introduced to the incredible works of Noriko Matsueda or Ryuji Sasai without fan translators investing years of time and expertise to bring us the lost creative masterpieces of wonderful people oceans (and decades) away. Now Energy Breaker and all of its characters, settings, stories, and music will be added to my experiences. I can't thank you enough.

6 Name: NotGhost : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 03:19:58 GMT ID:OouwFlu9 [Del]

^

I second the above post. To breathe life into old gems I thought I would never truly experience to the fullest... I couldn't thank you enough. It not only motivates me to complete my own game... Your hard work with this project (along with other translation projects) has brought me joys that I thought I would never truly experience.

So, again, saying I thank you for this. I mean, I'm really happy you guys stuck this out because I seriously been craving to get my hands on Energy Breaker for years and years.

Thanks a bunch!

7 Name: jhutch : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:54:28 GMT ID:jdkDofUX [Del]

totally agree with the about posts, beautifully done translation. With all the hard work you put into these projects, and doing this in your free time! Just cant thank you all enough for what you all do! thank you so much!

8 Name: satsu!aCfYpcY.NE : Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:48:29 GMT ID:MB1ebm0H [Del]

Thank you for all the very kind and generous comments. It's extremely flattering to receive such praise and I think I can safely speak for DNQ when I say that we're both extremely grateful for the support.

Name: Link:
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
More options...
Verification:
Image: